Run Away!
The WaPo's Daba Milbank writes about an anonymous Republican candidate:
The Preznit has become toxic in his own party but until members of the GOP start speaking out - by name - little if anything will change. Two decades ago the Republican leadership in Congress went to a president and told him it was time to go. They did so openly. While no doubt there was political calculation involved, they still put country above party.
But things have changed. Power at all costs, even if it weakens the country, is the standard now. When Mr. Candidate, above, speaks out openly I'll be impressed. But I'm not expecting it.
.
The candidate, immersed in one of the most competitive Senate races in the country, sat down to lunch yesterday with reporters at a Capitol Hill steakhouse and shared his views about this year's political currents.
On the Iraq war: "It didn't work. . . . We didn't prepare for the peace."
On the response to Hurricane Katrina: "A monumental failure of government."
On the national mood: "There's a palpable frustration right now in the country."
It's all fairly standard Democratic boilerplate -- except the candidate is a Republican . And he's getting all kinds of cooperation from the White House, the Republican National Committee and GOP congressional leaders.
Not that he necessarily wants it. "Well, you know, I don't know," the candidate said when asked if he wanted President Bush to campaign for him. Noting Bush's low standing in his home state, he finally added: "To be honest with you, probably not."
[...]
He spoke of his party affiliation as though it were a congenital defect rather than a choice. "It's an impediment. It's a hurdle I have to overcome," he said. "I've got an 'R' here, a scarlet letter."
That left the candidate in a difficult spot. "For me to pretend I'm not a Republican would be a lie," he reasoned. But to run as a proud Republican? "That's going to be tough, it's going to be tough to do," he said. "If this race is about Republicans and Democrats, I lose."
The Preznit has become toxic in his own party but until members of the GOP start speaking out - by name - little if anything will change. Two decades ago the Republican leadership in Congress went to a president and told him it was time to go. They did so openly. While no doubt there was political calculation involved, they still put country above party.
But things have changed. Power at all costs, even if it weakens the country, is the standard now. When Mr. Candidate, above, speaks out openly I'll be impressed. But I'm not expecting it.
.








<< Home