Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Your Future Junior Senator From Pennsylvania

Bob Casey:

Meanwhile, state Treasurer Bob Casey Jr., the front-runner for the Democratic nomination to oppose Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., issued a statement saying: "The arguments against Judge Alito do not rise to the level that would require a vote denying him a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court. Based on this analysis, if I were in the Senate today, I would vote to confirm him."

If I didn't want to see Ricky defeated so much there's no way I could support Casey.

Though you wouldn't know it from the "news" media, it's worth noting that there are two other Dems vying for the nomination: Alan Sandals and Chuck Pennacchio. I've been able to spend some time with Chuck and he's the sort of candidate us progressive Democrats want but, alas, PA Governor Ed Rendell is doing his best to make sure Casey is perceived to be the only candidate.

Speaking of Fast Eddie:

Gov. Ed Rendell -- whose wife, Marjorie, has been serving alongside Judge Alito on the 3rd Circuit -- told an interviewer that the nominee passed the tests of fairness, integrity, a good legal record and the right academic background. "He would not have been my pick by any means, but he deserves confirmation," the governor said.

Both Casey and Rendell were given the coveted Wanker of the Day award by Atrios.


.